|Duration||7 days||10 days|
|Fever||37 - 38.3⁰C||Higher than 28⁰C|
|Aches and pains in muscles||-||√|
The cold season is back again and with it the common cold and the flu
Cold is caused by 200 different viruses and is contagious. Around 20 per cent of the population is infected per week making it quite common. Symptoms includes: runny nose, fever and sneezing. Usually colds last up to 1 week and are self-limiting.
FLU is caused by three strains of the Influenza virus. Around 10 per cent of the population is infected per year but it is a more serious infection. Symptoms includes: chills, fever, muscle aches, headache, cough, backache, sore throat and runny nose.
The only thing that will prevent you from getting the FLU is the FLU JAB (available at your GP or thackers pharmacy)
Life style advice to prevent or to decrease symptoms of COLD/FLU
- Wash hands frequently to prevent the spread of the germs.
- Use your own cup, plates and cutlery.
- Rest as much as possible, keep warm.
- Drink plenty of fluids, around 8 to 10 glasses a day.
- Always sneeze and cough into tissues.
- Steam inhalation with menthol crystals could be beneficial for the removal of the mucus.
TREATMENT to alleviate the symptoms:
- IBUPROFEN and PARACETAMOL are the mainstay of the treatment to reduce the fever.
- Nasal decongestants for the relief of nasal congestion such as OTRIVINE nasal spray, KARVOL DROPS, VICKS vaporub, OLBAS OIL.
- Cough mixture for the relief of cough such as COVONIA, BENYLIN.
- ECHINACEA is used to diminish the severity and shorten the duration of cold symptoms.
- VITAMIN C and ZINC may help to boost the immune system.